Friday, January 9, 2009

Loving Spain

I have been in Spain for one week now, but it feels like much much longer. I live in Alcala de Hernares, a smaller city about 30 minutes away from Madrid. Life is so different here and it took some getting used to, but I am adjusting. I am rarely in a car, in the morning we take the bus to school, and walk from the Plaza de Cervantes to class, then take the bus everywhere else we need to go. If we want to go into Madrid we take the train and then get on the metro that is usually packed full and people are always looking for an opportunity to stick their hand in your pocket to steal anything. We have noticed that it is better to speak as little English as possible in public because then we blend in more and less people try to take advantage of you. Around one in the afternoon everything closes for siesta and everyone comes home for a big lunch. Nothing opens back up until 5:30 or 6 usually. The city of Madrid is amazing, I am so happy to be here for four months so I can experience everything, a couple weeks would not be enough. The family I live with is so sweet and they love spending time with us. They speak really really fast but we are getting better at understanding them and everyone around us. Its amazing how much better you are at a language when your are immersed in it. I miss the warmth of home, it has been snowing like crazy here which is very unusual but I am starting to get used to being cold all the time. I look forward to many adventures this semester. 

2 comments:

  1. ki, i was so excited to see a post, it doesn't even look real, the pictures are so beautiful and old. i can't wait to hear from you!! i miss you! love ya, mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ki~ It all sounds amazing!!! Soak it in and come back with sooo many stories to tell. Remember this is an amazing time for you and I know you will make the most of it. I am so proud of you! I love you so much. Keep the posts coming I love seeing where you are and what you are doing! Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete