Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Daily Life





So I feel like I have pretty much adjusted to life here pretty well, I am used to waiting for the buses, changing buses, walking a lot, planning on everything being closed from 1 to 6. But the one thing I am still not used to is the food. Everyday its a complete mystery as to what we will be eating for our meals. On Sunday we got our first normal meal of green beans, spinach and chicken. It was so good to know what I was eating. Normally, we have to just guess. The worst thing we have eaten is what we can only describe as fish pudding. Basically its shredded up fish, with tomatoes that almost looks like a casserole but its cold and makes you want to throw up a little in your mouth. We eat with our family mostly every meal and so we just try as hard as we can to smile and swallow fast. The boys keep telling us now we know what its like to be on a mission! The biggest problem I have with eating here, is that you usually see your meal in its original form before its on your plate. A full fish, the whole lamb or an octopus. Pork is huge here, and in every restaurant they display their food in the window, as we walked in Madrid we came across this little window with a full pig just staring at us. The pig had on sunglasses and a phone was attached to his ear. Not very appetizing. Last night we came home and saw the biggest pig leg ever just sitting on our counter and our parents asked if we like ham. Well I have never had ham cut right in front of me off the pig, but it basically tastes like dried bacon, not terrible but not like the lunch meat ham we get at the store in the states. Every meal we have had since then we look at this huge leg on our counter next to us and lose our appetite. Maybe by the end of my stay here I will be excited to eat but for now, we enjoy a good piece of fruit!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kiley great pictures! It looks cold, but it also looks like you are having great fun!

    ReplyDelete