Saturday, February 14, 2009

Segovia

This past Saturday we went on a day trip to Segovia. It is only an hour an a half northwest of Madrid. It was a cute little city, there was not a lot to do, but they had really interesting sites to see. First off, the palace, the palace in Segovia looks like the castle at Disneyland. Its exactly what you would imagine a castle to look like. We climbed to the top of the tower up a spiral staircase with like 200 steps that were over a foot high. Going up those steps showed me just how out of shape I am here, I could barely stand once we got to the top, my legs were burning. It was worth it though, the view was gorgeous. The second important site is the aqueduct built by the Romans. It goes right through the middle of the city and it is crazy to see and think about the fact that people were building these huge structures thousands of years ago. Segovia has so much history, and going with our history professor, we get quizzed the whole time. For some reason he kept calling on me to give the answers in front of the whole group. He likes to give me a hard time constantly, I like him though, him and his wife are hilarious. I enjoyed our little day trip, I was not ready to go on another week long excursion yet. We are all still recovering from it. The travel just really wears you down, everyone gets sick and just needs rest. Today we had a Saturday to just relax, we went to a park and played soccer and threw a frisbee around. We packed a lunch and just enjoyed being outside. Luckily it was a really nice day. Im hoping the weather continues to get warmer, its been good to us lately. I think it may have realized we have had enough winter. Its times like today that make me enjoy being in Spain, watching thousands of families and couples walk through the park today makes me remember the simple pleasures in life. At home I am so caught up in so many other things, and have so many distractions its hard to remember to just sit and soak up the beauty around me. Every once in a while everyone needs a little break from reality. 
                                                       We went for a ride in the rowboats

                                             The row boats on the lake
                                             The lady in the park who walks her cat on a leash and treats it                                                            like her child, we see her every time we go here
                                             This is how we act pretty much all the time....

                                             Valley below the palace
                                             Aqueduct
                                             Some of the girls
                                                       Top of the tower
                                             View of Segovia
                                             Palace
                                             Cathedral in Segovia


5 comments:

  1. ki, it looks incredible. you look so pretty and i love pictures of you in front of gorgeous things in spain, those are my favorite, talk to you tommorow, love you!! mamasita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ki...love the scarves. Are they everyone where in Spain? This is something that I have started wearing a lot and feel very European when I do it. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ki, Im glad you got some down time. you are so right about needing to relax and sit back. It reminds me of one of my favorite scriptures, "Be still and know that I am God". Isn't it amazing to see what a great creator he is. Im so glad your having these experiences. We miss you here. How about a party when you get back? Like a combo welcome home and birthday with a slide show of your trip?? Sounds like a good plan to me. Love you tons. Aunty Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiley you are incredible and gorgeous and wonderful and I am jealous of all of your exciting adventures in Spain. I am going to get myself over to that country ASAP. It is calling to me, I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS the pictures are great! I especially love all the old cathedrals and palaces and stuff. my spanish prof is from Spain and a couple years ago she got married in an old castle in the countryside of Galicia. it sounded dreamy.

    ReplyDelete